Re: [wmii] Gentoo

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:54:37 -0400

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 07:41:13PM -0400, Robert C Corsaro wrote:
> Gentoo uses ebuilds, which are just a layer above make. The ebuild
> basically downloads the source, compiles and installs. An overlay is
> just a set of ebuilds that aren't in the official gentoo repository.
> When you emerge (install) a package, it looks in any overlays you have
> first, and then in the official portage tree(set of ebuilds). There is
> also a program called layman which manages overlays for users. It
> requires a layman-list.xml file somewhere on the web to tell it
> where/how to get the overlay(s). I'll create this too. The only
> requirement is that the layman-list.xml can be accessed by http url, and
> that the overlay can be accessed via tar(http url), rsync, hg, svn, git
> or bzr.
>
> I'd love to leave it in your repo, one less headache for me.

Ok, I can give you commit access to the Google Code mirror of
the repo, and you can maintain the overlay there. I'd suggest
using /pkg/gentoo, which will be accessible at:

     http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/pkg/gentoo/

If that's acceptable, please send the required changes (commit
them to your private repo and use "hg export"), and I'll add you
to the Google Code project.

--
Kris Maglione
TeX has found at least one bug in every Pascal compiler it's been run