Re: [wmii] Gentoo

From: Robert C Corsaro <rcorsaro_AT_optaros.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 20:04:25 -0400

Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 07:41:13PM -0400, Robert C Corsaro wrote:
>
>> Gentoo uses ebuilds, which are just a layer above make. The ebuild
>> basically downloads the source, compiles and installs. An overlay is
>> just a set of ebuilds that aren't in the official gentoo repository.
>> When you emerge (install) a package, it looks in any overlays you have
>> first, and then in the official portage tree(set of ebuilds). There is
>> also a program called layman which manages overlays for users. It
>> requires a layman-list.xml file somewhere on the web to tell it
>> where/how to get the overlay(s). I'll create this too. The only
>> requirement is that the layman-list.xml can be accessed by http url, and
>> that the overlay can be accessed via tar(http url), rsync, hg, svn, git
>> or bzr.
>>
>> I'd love to leave it in your repo, one less headache for me.
>>

> Ok, I can give you commit access to the Google Code mirror of
> the repo, and you can maintain the overlay there. I'd suggest
> using /pkg/gentoo, which will be accessible at:
>
> http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/pkg/gentoo/
>
> If that's acceptable, please send the required changes (commit
> them to your private repo and use "hg export"), and I'll add you
> to the Google Code project.

Ok, we'll try that. The only worry I have is that for layman to work,
the checkout has to have the directory structure in the root. It looks
like hg clone http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/pkg/gentoo/ doesn't checkout
the subdir, but the entire repo. Can that subdir be packaged as a tar
somewhere? Anyway, we'll figure something out.