Re: [dev] uzbl

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:37:26 +0200

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:11:37 +0200
Leonardo Taccari <leonardo1990_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 04:43:31PM +0200, Enno Boland (Gottox) wrote:
> > NCURSES?! LIBCACA?! You're absolutely insane!
> > Only because it's terminal based makes the libraries not better.
> >
> > GTK is the least sucking way (anyway not a good one) to use Webkit.
> > If you want to use a textbrowser use elinks.
> >
> > I think uzbl is a good base to write a better browser, but I believe
> > gtk can't be removed without touching webkit itself.
> >
> > regards
> > Gottox
> I agree with you Enno, I think that uzbl can became a very interesting
> browser because it's trying to follow the Unix way and at the same
> time its rendering, thanks to Webkit, isn't bad.
>
> About options I think too that using getopt(3) style options is
> simpler, at least for the user but at this state of the development
> it's just a small detail (and probably writing a patch to fix this
> behaviour isn't very hard).
>

> I should try uzbl soon, thanks for this web browser and keep up the
> good work!
>

> Ciao, Leonardo

Thanks.

bill lam <cbill.lam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I use w3m as primary browser and firefox only for sites that need
> javascript or ajax. I cannot see this project suckless, it only uses
> a bloated rendering engine and lack needed functions. I think one can
> take midori and remove some functions to make yet another uzbl. It
> will earn more respect by writing its own suck less html rendering
> engine.

mind telling us which functionality is lacking?
Btw, did you notice the project is just a month old and we have
no release yet?

About the gtk dependency -> http://www.uzbl.org/faq.php
About the other concerns:
1) patches welcome
2) they are _EXAMPLE_ scripts. feel free to write posix sh alternatives
(hell, several or them are posix sh already but just have the wrong
shebang. it's just that noone corrected it yet)
3) Thanks for the kind words...
4) Last time I checked, I was not retarded.

Dieter.