Re: [dev] number of visible windows?

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:11:46 -0500

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Jacob Todd<jaketodd422_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Lets pretend each tag can have it's own layout assigned. Lets also say I have
> two clients open on tag one; tiled, and, and another on tag two; floating, then
> I mod+ctrl+2 and have tag one and two as a distinct workspace, with tag two
> inheriting tag one's layout because that's where I executed the toggle from.
> What's wrong with that?

Nothing, except it's completely opposed to the fundamental concept of
dwm. You do not have a per-tag layout. You have a layout. This
layout is in charge of deciding how to render the clients that match
the tags you've selected to be displayed. When you start assigning
layouts to tags instead of to displays, you've lost the simplicity of
the current system. For instance, in your example, what happens when
you alt-tab to the previous tagset? Does the client who just
inherited a layout revert to its previous layout, or does it retain
the layout it just inherited? What happens to the other tags in the
tagset? Do they remain the same, or do they inherit the layout from
the tag that inherited the layout from the original tagset? Even
asking these questions is complex and stupid; there's no way the
answer can make any sense.

All layout-per-tag essentially does is move dwm from being a
tagged-client window manager to a tagged-workspace window manager.
The former makes sense and can be implemented in a sane way, the
latter requires more complexity and edge-case handling in the code,
and nobody here wants that.

--
# Kurt H Maier