Re: [dev] number of visible windows?

From: Preben Randhol <randhol_AT_pvv.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 23:36:17 +0200

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:11:46 -0500
Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Nothing, except it's completely opposed to the fundamental concept of
> dwm. You do not have a per-tag layout. You have a layout.

Be that as it may, but in terms of usability for me I prefer the
per-tag layout as some programs I need to have the bstack layout,
others monocle and others again tiled. As I need the programs
running at the same time to do my work, it is counterproductive to
have to rearrange the tag layout every time I have to switch to another
tag.

> All layout-per-tag essentially does is move dwm from being a
> tagged-client window manager to a tagged-workspace window manager.
> The former makes sense and can be implemented in a sane way, the
> latter requires more complexity and edge-case handling in the code,
> and nobody here wants that.

So what you are saying is that if a problem is making the code more
complex one define that this is not a problem and ignore it?

It is like saying all chemical/physical models should be ideal and sod
the real world if the simulations don't add up to reality.

What I want is not the smallest neatest code that doesn't model the
problem-space and is semi-usable. That is not a suckless code (well
except for the programmer)

This said I'm perfectly happy with having patches that
add the per-tag functionality.

Regards,

Preben