Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 06:34:53 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Jimmy Tang<jtang_AT_tchpc.tcd.ie> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:07:42PM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:

>> > It *is* the set of defaults that satisfies the majority.
>>
>> You are responding to something I didn't say. Read again.
>>
>>   I think many
>> > people change the setting to Mod2Mask to use the Windows key, but the
>> > current default of Mod1Mask will work out of the box for anyone who doesn't
>> > have a Windows/Apple/diamond key.
>>
>> That's true. But it also conflicts with a widely-available UI
>> convention, alt-based keyboard accelerators. And there are other
>> possible defaults that use only ctrl and alt that don't exhibit this
>> conflict.
>>

> at the risk of being patronising, why not just buy a cheap keyboard for
> 10euro/usd or whatever? surely it can not be that difficult to find an
> old and cheap keyboard for your machine which does not have the extra
> key on your current keyboard?

Presumably you meant "does" above, instead of "does not"? You need to
check your keyboard :-)

Kidding aside, I'm a fast typist, spend a lot of time at the computer
and I care a lot about the feel of my keyboard. I have never found
anything that was as satisfactory (and I've tried) as IBM's classic
keyboards, of which I have two. They don't have the Windows key, so I
have to deal with this problem with the pair of ctrl and alt keys. I
have made a change, described in a previous message, that works well
for me.

/Don