Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Jimmy Tang <jtang_AT_tchpc.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:18:54 +0100

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:07:42PM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Donald Chai<donald.chai_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I don't buy that argument. Why not pick the set of defaults that
> >> satisfies the largest minority?
> >
> > It *is* the set of defaults that satisfies the majority.
>
> You are responding to something I didn't say. Read again.
>
>  I think many
> > people change the setting to Mod2Mask to use the Windows key, but the
> > current default of Mod1Mask will work out of the box for anyone who doesn't
> > have a Windows/Apple/diamond key.
>
> That's true. But it also conflicts with a widely-available UI
> convention, alt-based keyboard accelerators. And there are other
> possible defaults that use only ctrl and alt that don't exhibit this
> conflict.

at the risk of being patronising, why not just buy a cheap keyboard for
10euro/usd or whatever? surely it can not be that difficult to find an
old and cheap keyboard for your machine which does not have the extra
key on your current keyboard?

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,