Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:27:26 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Szabolcs Nagy<nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/09, Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> fix it, when (in my opinion) a reasonable fix exists (change
>> alt-<non-numeric> to ctrl-alt-<non-numeric>), even for keyboards
>> without the Windows key.
>
> editing ctrl-alt out from the default config is more work than just
> changing the mod key definition
>
>> window manager with defaults that interfere with a well-established UI
>> convention that spans many applications makes no sense to me,
>
> the ctrl-alt is better in that sense but still not very usable
>
> anyway, i could agree with the change if it's just
> #define MODKEY Mod1Mask|ControlMask

I believe this would have the effect of changing alt-<anything> to
ctrl-alt-<anything> and also alt-shift-<anything> to
ctrl-alt-shift-<anything>, yes?

If so, that makes sense to me. It preserves the current consistency,
which my fix does not, so in that way it is less confusing, at the
expense of making the oft-used alt-<number> gestures somewhat more
awkward to type. But it accomplishes the primary goal of getting the
defaults out of the way of the application UI gestures. And, has been
discussed to death here, many with Windows keys will alter their
configurations to use them.

> what would you use for toggleview and toggletag?

I'd just keep them consistent with the change you described above, so
they'd just have ctrl added to what they are currently.

/Don