Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Niki Yoshiuchi <aplusbi_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:38:31 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>wrote:

> I believe this would have the effect of changing alt-<anything> to
> ctrl-alt-<anything> and also alt-shift-<anything> to
> ctrl-alt-shift-<anything>, yes?
>
> If so, that makes sense to me. It preserves the current consistency,
> which my fix does not, so in that way it is less confusing, at the
> expense of making the oft-used alt-<number> gestures somewhat more
> awkward to type. But it accomplishes the primary goal of getting the
> defaults out of the way of the application UI gestures. And, has been
> discussed to death here, many with Windows keys will alter their
> configurations to use them.
>

> > what would you use for toggleview and toggletag?
>
> I'd just keep them consistent with the change you described above, so
> they'd just have ctrl added to what they are currently.
>
> /Don
>

> If you are proposing that we change the defaults, the most sensible option
is to change it to the windows key (mod4, not sure what that is on an Apple
keyboard). 99% of keyboards out there have the MOD4 key, it seems that most
of the people taking part in this discussion use it, and people who don't
have an mod4 key can change the default configuration.

Using ctrl-alt is cumbersome and I imagine that most dwm users would end up
changing it (and thus making it at least as bad as alt).