Re: [dev] wmii: Question on wmiirc_local.py

From: Thomas Dahms <dahms_AT_gmx.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:06:25 +0200

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 00:25:04 -0400
Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:32:07PM +0200, Thomas Dahms wrote:
> >I should have tried before replying. This did not work. I had
> >to copy the whole python/ from /etc/wmii-hg to ~/.wmii-hg and
> >edit wmiirc.py in there. I guess the "import wmiirc" in
> >python/wmiirc gives always priority to the working directory
> >regardless of sys.path.
>
> Not to the working directory. Python prepends the path to
> __main__ (wmiirc in this case) to sys.path. This is fixed in
> tip.

Works fine now but gives rise to another problem: Keeping the
modules in /etc, they don't get byte compiled on first import, as a
normal user has no write access there. As a workaround you could
compile them at make time, but optionally in order to avoid having
Python as dependency. Maybe a target "pyc" in the Makefile?

Other minor issues with the Python wmiirc:
- The clock in the bar is not updated. Seems to be a problem with
datetime, since this works:
@defmonitor
def time(self):
    return call('date','+%a %d %b %T')

- With two Xinerama screens, the (empty) bar on the second screen is light gray,
while with the sh version it had $WMII_NORMCOLORS

- Mod4 is default for this, while it is Mod1 for the others.

--
Thomas Dahms