Re: [dev] [ANN] Ruby (Rumai) based wmiirc now distributed with wmii

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:56:29 -0400

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 01:32:40AM -0700, Suraj Kurapati wrote:
>I will move my eccentric setup to a "personal" branch on GitHub and
>merge your patches onto my GitHub master branch. This way, my GitHub
>repo will stay in sync with your official wmii one and newcomers won't
>be scared away by my eccentric defaults. ;-)

They're really not so eccentric (except maybe for the Dvorak
bits), I just think that the scripts bundled with wmii should
have more or less the same default, partly for consistency and
partly so users won't be afraid to try them. Plus, when i was
testing your script, I was a bit shocked by the splash of blue,
and then I couldn't actually do anything with they keyboard.

I really don't mind maintaining my patches separately, though.
Hg can push and pull git repos, and it's easy to keep mq patches
in sync with upstream. Plus, some of my changes don't make sense
except when the script is distributed with wmii. Searching
$WMII_CONFPATH, for instance. Having the string interpolation
patch upstream certainly makes things easier, though. As for MPD
integration, I think it's a good idea, but I really don't want
to include that kind of applicaiton-specific support with wmii.

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 11:52:37PM -0700, Suraj Kurapati wrote:
>I went further to replicate the stock sh wmiirc functionality for your
>convenience, and ended up with the following organization:

Thanks, I'll look it over and merge it before the next tarball.
I do need to update the color scheme a bit, though. The warning
and error tuples were just a quick kludge.

>The 'strict' branch can be directly rolled into the next wmii release.
> It's currently missing the Mod1-Control-t functionality to
>disable/enable all shortcuts. I'll be adding that soon.
>
>The 'master' branch has a blank config.yaml file (with documentation).
>
>The 'dvorak' branch is what I use daily. It has the MPD integration.
>
>The 'qwerty' branch is the same as the 'dvorak' branch, plus my lame
>attempts to guess what key bindings QWERTY users are comfortable with
>(it's been too long since I was a QWERTY user... I don't know
>anymore!). Please feel free to improve and submit back.

What, no Colmac? ;)

--
Kris Maglione
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to