Re: [dev] Alternative for tabbing in web-browsers?

From: Julien Steinhauser <Julien.Steinhauser_AT_orange.fr>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 22:51:38 +0200

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 05:11:13PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:

> On 10/7/09, Илья Илембитов <ilembitov_AT_yandex.ru> wrote:
> > A suggestion was made to revisit a bookmarking system. I was thinking about
> > it and here is my suggestion: what if basically do not just bookmark pages?
>
> imho the main issue is the ease of use (ie adding/retrieving/removing
> links easily), downloading the entire site or just keeping a link is a
> secondary question
>
> adding links to a list can be made easy (eg a single middle click),
> but recalling which url meant what is not that easy (with tabs the
> list is already visible, with favicons and title +one can remember the
> position of a link in the list)
>
> > 1. one page opened, all others stored to disk
>
> yes, but the question is how do you manage those links
> they will have obscure name, no context or tags

On surf, ctrl-y, echo -e `sselp | dmenu` >> $file bound to a key binding,
and you can tag it as you like, retrieving is just as so easy, just load
the grepped file in a vertical dmenu, fresch patch for dmenu on archlinux
 forum has multiselect feature so one can load several url in one dmenu go.

On a surf launched with the -x option, the two steps required to add
a tagged bookmark to a list are reduced to one step.
If one wish to add the window title to the bookmark,
just pasting such a string somewhere in the bookmarking script does the trick
xprop -id `cat ~/.surf/id` | grep WM_ICON_NAME\(STRING\) | cut -c 24-