Re: [dev] [dmenu] Putting key combinations in config.h

From: Colin Shea <colin_AT_evaryont.me>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:53:22 -0400

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Peter John Hartman <
peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Colin Shea wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Peter John Hartman <
>> peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In light of the parallel discussion re surf and dmenu, I thought I'd
>> open up
>> the following suggestion: Can we put the various keybindings used in
>> dmenu
>> in config.h rather than dmenu.c? There is one case where I know this
>> will
>> prove useful, namely, the keybinding to close dmenu, which currently
>> is
>> XK_Escape. I launch dmenu with a keybinding to Shift_R and I like to
>> be
>> able to close dmenu with the same keystroke, i.e.\ Shift_R. But more
>> generally most other suckless apps have the keybindings in config.h,
>> so why
>> not dmenu?
>>
>> Yours,
>> Peter
>>

>> And I already posted to the previous discussion before reading this,
>> great.
>>
>> As I stated, it would be better than a parameter passed to dmenu on the
>> command line.
>>
>> While it would be excessive, could it also be possible to have the
>> keybindings change the options available, not the input? Thinking
>> something along the line of a dmenu-based clone of Google's
>> Suggestions feature. Being able to type something then have dynamic
>> results, rather than static. This would be a lot more complex I'd bet than
>> what Anselm suggested.
>>

> Hi,
>
> 1. I'm glad we agree on the config.h vs. argument-from-commandline vs.
> dmenu.c question.
>
> 2. I don't understand the subsequent request, although I've never used
> "Google's Suggestions" either. What do you have in mind?
>
> Peter

I don't know if Google enabled it for everyone, but if you log into your
Google Account then start searching, it will provide possible completions of
your search term. So if you typed "do" into the search box, the first option
in the drop down would be "dog", but if you then typed "w" instead of
selecting it, it would return "down", etc. It also ties in with your
previous search history, so with "com" computer would rate higher than
complete, for instance.