Re: [dev] UTF-8 copyright symbol

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:25:43 -0400

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 09:54:07AM +0900, KIMURA Masaru wrote:
>> How would it make the software suck less? How would it improve interactions
>> with other software? No one's even posed a good case for this causing
>> problems at all. So, in a non-UTF-8 locale you don't see a copyright sign.
>> In 8859-1, you see ©; what a nightmare! Seriously, this isn't an issue.
>> People with a UTF-8 locale get a nice copyright sign, for everyone else, the
>> legal validity is the same. If they don't like it, they can piss off, or
>> read up on how to turn on a UTF-8 locale.
>
>Did you think about fonts, not locale?

Well, I was expecting an encoding flame war. At any rate, most
fonts have the © character. Even the exceedingly paltry
ProggyClean (my favorite) displays it properly. The standard X
fonts (namely fixed) contain vast swaths of the Unicode
spectrum. Hell, even MS's console font has ©, and has since the
early DOS days. If someone wants to use such an impoverished
font as to make this an issue, well, that's his problem.

--
Kris Maglione
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.