Re: [dev] UTF-8 copyright symbol

From: KIMURA Masaru <hiyuh.root_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:09:11 +0900

2009/10/23 Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 09:54:07AM +0900, KIMURA Masaru wrote:
>>>
>>> How would it make the software suck less? How would it improve
>>> interactions
>>> with other software? No one's even posed a good case for this causing
>>> problems at all. So, in a non-UTF-8 locale you don't see a copyright
>>> sign.
>>> In 8859-1, you see ©; what a nightmare! Seriously, this isn't an issue.
>>> People with a UTF-8 locale get a nice copyright sign, for everyone else,
>>> the
>>> legal validity is the same. If they don't like it, they can piss off, or
>>> read up on how to turn on a UTF-8 locale.
>>
>> Did you think about fonts, not locale?
>
> Well, I was expecting an encoding flame war. At any rate, most fonts have
> the © character. Even the exceedingly paltry ProggyClean (my favorite)
> displays it properly. The standard X fonts (namely fixed) contain vast
> swaths of the Unicode spectrum. Hell, even MS's console font has ©, and has
> since the early DOS days. If someone wants to use such an impoverished font
> as to make this an issue, well, that's his problem.

Most cjk guys always use multi-bytes characters w/ non-UTF8 encoding.
If we should think about fonts, we'd have to go nuts. Most european
people make a token effort for i18n w/ saying "that's his problem".
Yes, you're right. That's "that's our problem".

I'm jap, and really tired that situation. So I'd like to keep my code
in pure ASCII. For only keeping t3h copyright symbol properly, there
is no need to use problematic encoding, even if it's UTF-8. I'd like
to type "(c)" or "(C)", if I need to write copyright notice. It suck
less, at least for me.

Just my two cents.