Re: [dev] a suckless computer algebra system

From: Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen_AT_iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:38:34 +0200

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:23:35PM -0600, A.J. Gardner wrote:
> Anyone know of any suckless math software out there in the tubes?

As for algebra, the king of the hill is without doubt LAPACK. But since
Fortran is nowadays seldom used, few people can tell if it "sucks in the
sense of suckless" (?). But it is still the fastest language in it's own
area; this may or may not be important.

As others have said, Maxima is a good choice for a CAS. Unfortunately the
commercial alternatives are quite far ahead in many things, albeit these
might "suck more". R is really good for statistics; a good amount of serious
research is carried out with it. It is also my personal favourite. If you
are into Python, Numpy and Scipy are relatively good. Sage is a kitchen sink
and definitely "sucks".

Finally, something that has not been mentioned yet. As much as I despise the
use of GPL (with libraries...), I have to admit that GSL is quite "suckless"
(i.e. clean, well-designed, and relatively simple) general purpose math
library written in plain C. I could even say that it "sucks less", at least
when compared to ever-so many C++ libraries in the field.

- Juka.