Re: [dev] my suckless.org compatible ideas: vim like mapping for any tools, C scripts, vi clone

From: anonymous <aim0shei_AT_lavabit.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 04:22:27 +0400

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:56:43PM +0000, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> On 15/05/2010, anonymous <aim0shei_AT_lavabit.com> wrote:
> dmenu uses alt for a couple of bindings. Apparently ctrl binds are
> shell-like and alt binds are vim-like, which is a bit weird (also
> M-p). I'd prefer to remove the alt ones. That said I do like ^[HJKL]
> in dwm, surf, etc.

vi, shell and other original unix programs don't use Alt. In dmenu
A-h, A-l, A-j, A-k and others can be changed to readline-like ^b, ^f,
^n and ^p. A-p can be changed to S-Insert or ^y, it is more common.

> wrt uriel's unix shortcuts page, where do ^K and the other common ones come in?

Don't know, probably ^K are common now but were not used in UNIX? ^P
and ^N are common now too, but i think they were popularized by EMACS,
readline and other GNU projects.