Re: [dev][surf]

From: Etienne Millon <etienne.millon_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:40:28 +0200

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 02:57:12PM +0200, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
> Sorry, I know this topic is old, but I was wondering: Why is YAML
> considered harmful? It's on http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/, but I
> can't find references about why I should not use it. Do you guys have
> documents or readings to provide about this?

Hello,

When it was designed, some of JSON's goals was to be minimal and
future-proof. As it is described in [1], you can expect it not to
change.

On the other hand, YAML is not a standard (and its description is
quite huge [2]). Same data can be represented in many different ways,
and as syntax is considerably more complex, YAML parsers are more
buggy.

TL;DR : JSON sucks less.

Do you really need more expressivity in the serialization language ?

[1] RFC 4627, The application/json Media Type for JSON
[2] http://www.yaml.org/spec/1.2/spec.html

--
Etienne Millon