Re: [dev] wmii: automount USB pens

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:56:58 -0400

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:40:19PM -0400, Kurt H Maier wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think so. First of all, that claim is a bit dubious. HAL is,
>> thankfully, being phased out, but it's still widely used for volume
>> management, and udev doesn't provide any similar mountpoint management.
>
>http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/udisks
>
>Please note: I don't support the freedesktop.org garbage, and I hate
>all of console-, device-, and policy-kit, but udisks is hal-free block
>device management. It barely works, but that's probably an artifact
>of being a freedeskop.org project.

Nice to know. It seems marginally less brain-dead than HAL, at
least, but still has the drawback of being Linux only. As for
the *kit, as far as I can tell, their only reason for existence
is that the freedesktop people like to make things more
complicated than they need to be. At least udev hasn't started
using XML (yet).

--
Kris Maglione
Only the educated are free.