Re: [dev] [st] 0.1 Feedback - Was: A few small patches

From: Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:50:31 -0400

> > 3. I really like urxvt(1)s urlLauncher functionality. Copy+Pasting
> > URLs is a PITA, especially on laptops without a middle mouse button
> > for pasting. What do you all think about it?
>
> Middle-button paste is (unfortunately) effectively brain-damaged for
> at least half the hardware out there, or nearly all of it if you
> consider scroll wheels unsuitable for clicking. Also some programs
> still don't fill the selection buffer when you select with the
> keyboard, making pasting into terminals a nuisance. Add in p9p progs
> which invariably take selection over clipboard when they differ and
> VNC for extra fun on top of that and the situation gets difficult. I
> would appreciate clipboard copy and paste, which I guess is a
> separate issue to the actual controls.
>
> XFCE terminal binds ctrl-shift-C/V to clipboard copy/paste. They're
> not great bindings but they're memorable. Someone mentioned shift-
> insert, was that for clipboard or selection paste? Shift-insert
> reminds me of DOS edit.exe which used that binding for paste and
> ctrl- and alt-insert for copy and cut if I remember right. Again,
> they weren't the world's most wonderful bindings but they worked and
> probably can't conflict with anything in the terminal.

If you use tmux, you don't need either a urlLauncher function built into
your xvt nor mouse cut-n-paste built into it. Just use their internal
buffers, on the one hand, and bind a key to urlview or whatever to get
the other functionality.

Of course, if you don't use tmux (and yet, somehow, still use xvt), I'm not
sure what you are doing. Hence, I'd say keep st simple: no mouse
cut-n-paste and no bells and whistles.

Peter

--
sic dicit magister P