Re: [dev] [st] 0.1 Feedback - Was: A few small patches

From: Bryan Bennett <bbenne10_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:34:23 -0400

>I've had a pop at tidying it up a bit, I'm not getting as many silly
>characters filtered through, would you mind giving it a try with what
>you were doing and seeing if it's any better?

Your new version of the patch seems to work *MUCH* better. In the couple
tests I've run, the random line noise I was getting before is much improved.
There's still some issues with curses / ncurses / slang applications (I've
yet to identify which specifically), which leave some noise at the end of
the lines, but - like I said - the amount isn't as bad. This patch could
feasibly be useful.

>I think targeting URLs specifically would be
>too specific for the behaviour to be included in a terminal

With regards to my ideas being too specific: The way I'm looking at doing
this is to create a regular expression that matches the text present in the
current buffer and then presents an indexed list of what you want to copy.
If you want to have this work for an entire line, "[.]?[\n]$" (or similar -
my regex-fu is weak). You could also match a url, a name, a phone number.
With proper planning, you could assign keys to different patterns and yank
them all via separate keypresses. I'm planning on being flexible enough to
get any data that one could feasibly want to yank, but specific enough that
you get only what you want. I just need to find the time to implement it.

Also - let me know how this email goes through. Gmail seems to be pretty
stupid when it comes to email handling - specifically line width. I think
this will come through as plain-text, wrapped @ 80 characters, but it's
allowing me to input it at a flowed width, in a non-monospaced font, and is
offering for me to 'switch to plain text'...