Re: [dev] [dwm] dwm statusbar - see wmii

From: Suraj N. Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:59:14 -0700

On Mon 17 Oct 2011 02:29:43 PM PDT, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> Separating the status bar from the window manager would require us
> to fill root with atoms, or else invent our own IPC protocol, and
> it would generally get quite messy.

That's what wmii does, where IPC is done via the 9P2000 protocol.
In my wmii configuration, I have independent status bar "applets",
each having its own text label, colors, and mouse event handlers.
As for garish icons, Unicode pictograms in the text label suffice.

Here is a screenshot to whet (or ruin ;) your status bar appetite:

  http://ompldr.org/vYXIweQ

If you're interested, see this ArchLinux screenshot thread for more:

  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1001807#p1001807

Cheers.

--
We have nowhere else to go... this is all we have.
		-- Margaret Mead