Re: [dev] [dwm] adding docking support

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:29:43 +0100

On 17/10/2011, Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that I care about statusbars and dockbars--I just want dwm to play nice
> with onscreen keyboards---I think, that said, that his point is that there's
> no conceptual tension between dwm and a statusbar *since dwm has a
> statusbar*.

I agree, then. I think what Kurt meant was that most widgets for
existing generic panels would fail spectacularly when introduced to
the dwm windowing model (as Robert mentioned). We'd have to write our
own special dwm 'tagger', and that seems pointless. Separating the
status bar from the window manager would require us to fill root with
atoms, or else invent our own IPC protocol, and it would generally get
quite messy.

With regards to Xembedding, I suspect the majority of dwm users prefer
their status bar without a bunch of garish icons; text will suffice.

Back to the patch this thread began with, why do you (Christoph) think
we should special-case _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK, and not deal with the
more generic (and more specific) _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL?

cls