Re: [dev] [dwm] 2000 SLOC

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:22:23 +0000

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 10:11:46AM +0000, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> On 1 November 2011 09:44, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> > - test the current xpi with firefox, using mozilla's addon
> >  compatibility extension, to see if it works, or
>
> Done. It seems to work fine.

Cool, thanks, I'll release an updated xpi tomorrow.

> A problem, though, is that it removes hyperlinks.

That's by design, actually. I'd rather read just the thing I
want to read, without thinking "maybe i should go here", and go
follow stuff afterwards. Unlike readability, it's designed
to be toggled, so turn it on, read, turn it off, navigate,
is a nice workflow.

> It's not quite smart enough to render a lot of bad sites
> that readable, but it is an improvement.

Yes. I didn't want to fall down the rabbithole of trying to
make it work with too bad code. This is good enough for most
sites in the real world, and to do better would mean a lot
more code and less maintainability.

> I wonder if it would be possible to 'crowdsource' readability so we
> can contribute bits of pages to hide, like on Wikipedia we don't care
> about '[edit]', etc... Not sure how we'd go about that, though.

I can't imagine such a thing would be worth it, or that
things to hide would be entirely shared between people.
There was a firefox extension that allowed you to select
elements and delete them. One could imagine creating some
croudsourcing element around that. But it doesn't seem to me
like it would actually work well.