[dev] [dwm] Tags vs Monitors

From: Thomas Dean <78abc_AT_web.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:16:37 +0100

I've used dwm for about half a year now (3 years of wmii before), and like
it a lot. However, I find that the handling of tags for multiple monitors
keeps disturbing my workflow. Isn't it against the general philosophy of
dwm to assign a definite monitor to each window, and to have separate
tagsets for each monitor?

I usually use tags as a sort of "grouping" of windows pertaining to certain
tasks. With only one monitor, dwm works wonderfully for me, and I never
have to think about arranging windows. But with two monitors, I constantly
find myself moving windows between the two, and searching for windows that
I "lost" because I put them on the other monitor, which makes them lose
their previously assigned tags.

I would imagine that the (or my at least) workflow could be much smoother
if there was only one tagset, independently of the number of monitors, and
if there were (a) layout(s) suitable for multi-screen views. The first
useful layout for two monitors that would come to my mind would consist of
two master windows plus one stack on one of the two monitors.

What do you guys think? How do you make efficient use of two monitors? Do
you find the current tag/monitor paradigm useful? I would be very
interested in your opinions.

Best,
TD