Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: dtk <dtk_AT_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:05:07 +0100

On 01/08/2012 10:30 AM, John Matthewman wrote:
> I would like a window manager that has wmii's acme-like window
> management, but without the 9P filesystem, wmiir, support for
> configuration via python, ruby, etc.

> use dwm as a base to build upon

+1

I imagine having a stacked layout + manual layouting in dwm should do
basically everything I need in everyday work. Plus a sleek code base.

There are a few other things that are now implemented through the
configuration *dirty* like toggling the last tag, namespaces for tags,
... but that could be patched separately, if necessary.

>> Quintin Guillaume posted a patch providing a wmii-like layout for dwm
>> a while ago [1]. I doubt that it applies to current dwm as it
>> probably
>> is from the pre-Xinerama era of dwm, but it may be easily brought up
>> to date. There were some updated versions of that patch, make sure to
>> search the old dwm_AT_suckless.org mailing list archives for the latest
>> one.
>>
>> [1] http://lists.suckless.org/dwm/0808/6435.html
>
> Thanks for the tip! I vaguely remember reading about that patch a long
> time ago. Maybe I'll see if I can get it to work -- then try to make
> it a bit more mouse-friendly (like acme).

That sounds truly awesome! Will you let us know how it goes?
Thx in advance
dtk