[dev] [dwm] Optional status bar

From: Tom Vincent <ml_AT_tlvince.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:51:46 +0000

I run dwm with the status bar hidden by default. I don't want to be
distracted with system info through xsetroot nor need to see the
window title. Often, I'll forget about open applications in other tags
so sometimes toggle the status bar to find an active tag (NB, is there
an equivalent to xmonad's [runOrRaise][1] action in dwm?). Mostly
though, I hide status bar for maximum screen real estate.

It would seem there might be opportunity here to reduce the dwm
codebase by handing off responsibility of the status bar to something
else, similar to how xmonad does it. dwm could provide an interface
that outputs "desktop" and urgency hints rather than implementing the
status bar itself.

I've searched gmane for previous discussion on this and there may be
an argument that conforming to a ewmh style interface will be
overcomplicating things.

Any thoughts on this?

  [1]: http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Actions-WindowGo.html#v:runOrRaise