Re: [dev] [dwm] Optional status bar

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:15:36 -0000

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:35:49 -0000, Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 04:01:09PM -0000, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
>> Dwm creates a dock (status bar) of its own and manages unlike any other
>> window. Dwm is configured to use a menu that, rather than being managed
>> like any other x window, requests exemption from window management. By
>> your logic, if dmenu is not best "rendered like any other x window" than
>> dmenu is broken, and so is the status bar.
>
> Your logic is inconsistent. The status bar and dwm are not 'managed
> unlike any other x window' because they are not managed at all. This
> is, in my opinion, a superior alternative to overengineering a
> ridiculous set of specifications to accomplish the simple things that
> dmenu and the status bar provide. ewmh is flawed because it presumes a
> specific interface paradigm. it provides nothing that dmenu or the
> status bar need that cannot be provided with override-redirect.

Fair enough. Keyboard grabbing and override-redirect make dmenu multisel
e.g. unusable for intermittent input. But as dmenu is intended to be
short-lived, that use case is simply out of scope anyway. I have the right
to fork dmenu and maintain the dock patch for dwm, so I'll stop
complaining.

--
-,Bjartur