Re: [dev] [DWM]Strange new window behavior

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:07:20 +0200

On 28 March 2012 23:31, Hugues Moretto-Viry <hugues.moretto_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using DWM since a long time and some months ago I decided to switch to
> 6.0 (used around 9 months 5.9).
> I noticed something is missing in dwm-5.9. Don't know if it's a bug, that's
> why I send you this mail.
> When I open a new window as rxvt-unicode for example on a tag which already
> include a window or more, I can see the left window blinking after it spawns
> (I see the background very quickly).
> It's weird so I couldn't describe it exactly, but it's like the window is
> not resized instantly.
> I got this thing on my Archlinux (dwm with some patches) but I tried with
> vanilla dwm on Archlinux and on another computer with Fedora.
> I recorded a video and I hope it will help
> you: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/63015e9a4b/
>
> I would really appreciate to have an answer because I asked on Archlinux
> forums, but I didn't get any informations.

This is known and it is down to the X client you are using. dwm is
very quick to resize and map it, but the client hasn't drawn its
window contents at the end of the manage() function yet.

There is no real fix to this problem, except delaying the map. But
that would make everything slower.

Cheers,
Anselm