Re: [dev] [dwm] drop the bars (was: systray in upstream dwm?)

From: Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 08:44:46 +0200

On 04/06/2012 07:41 AM, Jan Christoph Ebersbach wrote:
> Good Friday,
>
> Thank you Anselm for explaining the issue. From my point of view there
> is no other way of implementing a proper systray for dwm as long as it
> contains the bars and has no interface.
>
> Why don't we drop the bars and keybindings and let separate programs
> handle it. There are also other patches like Xft that show that there is
> a need for choice and extension. Building everything into dwm is not a
> good idea, agreed. So let's create a proper interface for dwm that other
> programs can use.

I remember this being discussed before on this list. The conclusion was
that separating the dwm bar would result in more code and complexity
than just leaving it embedded as is.

I personaly do not want systray or anything similar to be part of dwm.
Even though I use anthy and use two different keyboard layouts (en, cs,
jp) I don't really need anything to tell me what layout I use. I just
remember. Other than that, I don't see any meaningful use for systray. I
am using dwm few years now and this is first time I even thought about
systray at all. And the little area of dwm bar for status -- yes, I use
that..

while true
do
         xsetroot -name "$(date)"
         sleep 10
done &

I guess I would gravely miss this feature. But I could bear status area
being removed. Probably, I would just look at my wristwatches instead.