Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Sam Watkins <sam_AT_nipl.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:47:19 +1100

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:56:44AM +0100, Jens Nyberg wrote:
> People who can not grasp git thinks it's bad, it's that simple.

The git core is really very good and even almost suckless.

The git front end is very functional and capable, but also a catastropic
chaos of bolted on inconsistent nonsense. It does not compare well to
hg at all.

Given the choice between a great core in C with an awful front end and
ghastly documentation, and a good core with excellent front end, and
written in python... I would have stuck with hg.

I use git every day, have written tools to ease the pain of working with it, etc.
I quite like it, I just don't see that it is even remotely suckless,
unless you would rework all the front-end tools at least.

The only sensible reason I can see for preferring git is that it doesn't
depend on python. But, you'd rather use a sucky tool written in a supposedly
suckless language, versus a suckless tool written in a supposedly sucky
language?

Perhaps if the git doc and help were less terrible ...

Sam