Re: [dev] [dwm] window title shows as "broken"

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:05:13 +0000

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:12:21 +1300
Pablo Perez <kereru_AT_mirlingua.net> wrote:

> On 03/12/12, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> > On 3 December 2012 03:07, Pablo Perez <kereru_AT_mirlingua.net> wrote:
> > > I was wondering if someone could shed some light on a problem I have.
> > >
> > > The bar is not showing the name of the window. Instead is showing "broken"
> > > This happens on my machine both using a stock debian package *and* after compiling from source.
> > >
> > > I am using Debian stable.
> >
> > Usually this happens when the window does not set proper window
> > class/instance hints.
> >
> > Please check the output of xprop on such windows...
> >
> Thanks, Anselm.
> It actually happens with *all* windows.

I had this in all window managers on my Zaurus, except for when I ran a
full GPE (Gnome-lite) environment. I never bothered to find out what it
was, I had many more fun things to do than fix a broken Debian-based
Linux distro. I did think it might be locale-related, but I can't
remember why I thought that.