Re: [dev] [st] Segmentation fault when clicking the top of window

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:10:51 +0100

Am 27.03.2013 08:41, schrieb Christoph Lohmann:
> I thought you would fix the segfault, but instead all I got was a lousy
> XML file. :/

problem:
in config.h borderpx is declared as an unsigned int.
in the bpress(XEvent* e) function Y2ROW(e->xbutton.y) is called and gets
expanded to:
(((e->xbutton.y) - borderpx)/xw.ch)
XWindow.ch and XButtonEvent.y are both signed integers but the result is
unsigned, so
(((0) - 2)/14) for example gets evaluated to something really high and
out of range to the term.dirty[] array which causes the bad mem access
in line 801.

one possible solution:
make borderpx signed and hope the users are not stupid enough to set it
to a negative value.

> Some rant about xml…

Yeah you're right, xml is as bad as you say.

> Don’t waste your time on such stuff and study something real. Maybe some
> social stuff, so you will actually earn much money you can use to im‐
> prove suckless? Studiying computer science does not really help humani‐
> ty.

1.) I am neither interested in earning MUCH money nor in studying
"social stuff"
2.) I don't intend to help humanity with my studies about computer
science. They are already lost in that matter!

--Markus