Re: [dev] [st] New feature idea

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:45:54 +0100

Greetings.

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:45:54 +0100 Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 March 2013 14:31, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> > So I came across Enlightenment's "Terminology" terminal emulator
> > today, and they have many features we don't.
> >
> > I recommend skimming the ibPziLRGvkg youtube video.
> >
> > How long before we can set videos as the background to our
> > terminals? I find modern life is definitely not distracting enough,
> > and what I really want is to type white text onto a background of a
> > moving snowscape.
> >
> > Christoph, is this something you're working on yet? Or is the plan
> > still just the boring "make stuff work well" agenda?

The agenda hasn’t changed yet. Maybe some money will help in changing my
ideology. But I’m not religious.

> While I find many of those features useless, some of them are plain
> cool, and are innovative. Why are we stuck with a text terminal when
> we aren't using a tty most of the time? Sure simple text modes should
> always be supported but additional features are cool. I'd love to be
> able do an easy ls and be able to see my picture previews, why not?
> It' s not terribly complicated and it sure is useful.
>
> It doesn't follow the unix philosophy to have an embedded version of
> ls, but it would make sense to be able to print an image to stdout,
> using some escape-chars to start the block of data and to close it.
>
> It's definitely not all good, but that is how innovation is, some good
> features will stick and most will fall into nothingness.

What you want is not a vt100 emulation. The vt100 emulation is a differ‐
ent environment from what you want. I don’t think raping vt100 to sup‐
port those images is a good idea. If you see the timeline, then HTML is
the successor of the terminals and it is going to support 3D games soon
[0]. It’s not very efficient, solid and the cause of global warming, but
it made this whole OS mess a bit more simpler by having one interface
for everything. Of course using the web is like winning a war by burning
your own motherland.

> I'm still waiting for duke nukem...

Duke Nukem Forever has been released a while ago [1].

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/03/27/mozilla-is-unlocking-the-power-of-the-web-as-a-platform-for-gaming/
[1] http://www.dukenukemforever.com/full/de/