Re: [dev] git ramblings, was: suckless dotfiles approach

From: Łukasz Gruner <ukaszg_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:35:42 +0200

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013, at 13:31, Chris Down wrote:

  On 9 Jun 2013 12:29, "Łukasz Gruner" <[1]ukaszg_AT_fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 21:04, William Giokas wrote:

> > > git is not yet ready to be used as a general version control, as
it has

> > > no proper user-facing api.

> > I'm unsure where you are getting this from...

> Well, I see git as a 'version control assembler' - as in "you should
not

> be using this directly 99% of the time".

> There are many great porcelains on top of git (I like ezgit, and

> currently am using legit), but they are not yet ready to just get
stuff

> done quickly imho.

> TL;DR git is still too complicated to use to be qualified as a simple

> tool.

  Where's the evidence? Git makes most workflows extremely simple and
  trivial.

First of all, I am not saying git is "bad" in any way.

It just takes away much needed attention from actual work, to managing
a tool which can make any workflow imaginable happen. It is not simple
enough for me.