Re: [dev] [sbase] sponge

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:20:22 +0100

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Galos, David
<galosd83_AT_students.rowan.edu> wrote:
>> Except it does not actually sponge in the stdout case, only when
>> writing to file. Perhaps it would be better to drop support for stdout?
>> Or cat temp file to stdout at the end? Why does it open a temp file
>> when not using it?
>
> Definitely drop stdout support, its existence makes no sense.
>
> To keep the code simple, I suggest a read-write temp copy, rather
> than ever using rename.

That would also give the ability to pass /dev/stdout as a file to
support stdout for free. (Or have I misunderstood what you are
saying?) There are lots of utilities that don't support stdout
natively for which one can just pass the /dev/stdout file.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust