Re: [dev] lisp

From: Craig Brozefsky <craig_AT_red-bean.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:27:00 -0500

Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com> writes:

> Lisps are loaded with this sort of stuff, and while I love it, and
> enjoy using them thinking about them, reading about them, they just
> aren't practical for mortals who are used to PHP.

You keep confusing simple and easy.

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy

Many other things which "aren't practical for mortals" such as
logic/functional/declarative programming, immutable data structures,
agents, STM, and async channels are very simple -- even if they are
difficult to grasp and map into previous experiences.

They are not only simple, they make radically simpler programs. Taken
together, they also enable programs that would be outrageously complex,
and error prone in "easy" languages.

--
Craig Brozefsky <craig_AT_red-bean.com>
Premature reification is the root of all evil