Re: [dev] [sbase] sponge v2

From: Galos, David <galosd83_AT_students.rowan.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 20:41:39 -0400

> and also depends on having a non-read only filesystem
> to write too.
You understand that in order to change the target file, the
filesystem needs to be writable, right?

> > It's reasonably fast
> I want faster.
It's so fast that you never even realized that the moreutils
version uses a tempfile! Have you complained to GNU
about `sed -i` using a tempfile?

> It wastes read/writes on my hard drive
If you don't want the extra writes, mount /tmp as a tmpfs.

> Maybe a better solution could be using mmap.
Perhaps. I still wouldn't know how much to map, so I'd need
mremap, and from the manpage:
       This call is Linux-specific, and should not be used
       in programs intended to be portable.
If you write a portable patch making use of mmap, I'll
definitely consider applying it.

Fundamentally, sbase is about simplicity. The current version
works well in every circumstance, on platforms as odd as
lunix, and is absolutely trivial to understand.