Re: [dev] daemon for DWM

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:40:47 +0200

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an older thread but I just wanted to add some justification
> for the code I wrote (which seems to have been used by the author of
> this daemon).
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> while (fgets(buf, bufsize, devfd)) {
>>> if ((eth0start = strstr(buf, "eth0:")) != NULL) {
>> ^^^^
>> Oh. Would you mind actually telling people that your code only looks at
>> eth0? Because I have an eth0 on my laptop, too, but the device doing
>> basically all my Internet work is called wlan0.
>>

> It looks like this is from the dwmstatus helper function I sent to the
> suckless site.
>
> My thought process was that anyone downloading this code should have a
> look at the thing he is compiling which would make it obvious that the
> functionality is hardcoded to be limited to the wired interface (the
> link to the patch has been renamed to reflect this fact though).
>
> I am thinking about considering wlan0 as well and sending a new
> version of the code to the suckless site.

That is really considerate of you. Still, many of my machines should
run their traffic through br(idge)0, and since around the beginning of
the year some distributions don't bother naming their wired interfaces
"eth0" any more - where I will also be affected. Are you going to do
something for those? Will you at least accept patches?

cheers!
mar77i