Re: [dev] daemon for DWM

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:42:20 +0200

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:40:47PM +0200, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is an older thread but I just wanted to add some justification
> > for the code I wrote (which seems to have been used by the author of
> > this daemon).
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> ^^^^
> >> Oh. Would you mind actually telling people that your code only looks at
> >> eth0? Because I have an eth0 on my laptop, too, but the device doing
> >> basically all my Internet work is called wlan0.
> >>

> > It looks like this is from the dwmstatus helper function I sent to the
> > suckless site.
> >
> > My thought process was that anyone downloading this code should have a
> > look at the thing he is compiling which would make it obvious that the
> > functionality is hardcoded to be limited to the wired interface (the
> > link to the patch has been renamed to reflect this fact though).
> >
> > I am thinking about considering wlan0 as well and sending a new
> > version of the code to the suckless site.
> >

> That is really considerate of you. Still, many of my machines should
> run their traffic through br(idge)0, and since around the beginning of
> the year some distributions don't bother naming their wired interfaces
> "eth0" any more - where I will also be affected. Are you going to do
> something for those?

The code is really simple and adjusting it to a particular interface
name is trivial. Still, instead of checking for the interface names you
are interested in, it may be easier to consider all the interfaces
except the loop device.

I will try to find the time to check whether there is an easy approach
that covers all the cases you mention.

> Will you at least accept patches?

The code is part of the suckless sites git repository. Anyone should be
able to add patches and/or change the code.

Cheers,

Silvan