Re: Tags as tags (Was: [dev] Desktop warping for DWM?)

From: Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:14:22 +0800

On 2013-11-14 22:13:53 +0100, Manolo Martínez wrote:
> I've been referred to that blog post before, and I find it interesting
> and useful. But what it probably is not is a description of the way dwm was meant to be
> used or some such. The fact that the poster recommends changing the
> default keybindings so as to promote treating tags as tags provides
> evidence of this, I think: if the poster's way of thinking of dwm tags was the intended way, their
> preferred keybindings would have been the default keybindings.

What's that line from Apollo 13 again? "I don't care what it was
designed to do, I only care what it *can* do", or something? :-)

I think it very much depends on your workflow. For my work, I find
thinking of the tags as separate desktops is usually the way that I end
up using them (occasionally I display multiple tags at the same time,
but I don't think of that as being something I do regularly). I think
that's mostly, perhaps, since my aggression in cleaning up unneeded
clients has increased in recent times (although that's also helped by
limiting myself to 4 tags (dev, web, communication, hotfix)).

I'm not averse to either tags-as-tags or tags-as-desktops. Do what makes
sense for your situation. I'm not even sure what I do, since I seem to
do both.