Re: Tags as tags (Was: [dev] Desktop warping for DWM?)

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:58:22 +0000

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo_AT_austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> On 11/14/13 at 05:57pm, Raphaël Proust wrote:
>> dwm doesn't have “desktop”s. dwm has tags (by default 9 of them,
>> although editing config.h can change that) and views (only 2: the
>> current view and the alternate view). See
>> http://www.wongdev.com/blog/2013/01/24/dwm-tags-are-not-workspaces/
>> for details.
>
> I've been referred to that blog post before, and I find it interesting
> and useful. But what it probably is not is a description of the way dwm was meant to be
> used or some such. The fact that the poster recommends changing the
> default keybindings so as to promote treating tags as tags provides
> evidence of this, I think: if the poster's way of thinking of dwm tags was the intended way, their
> preferred keybindings would have been the default keybindings.

I used to have a mostly workspace oriented workflow (displaying one
tag at a time most times). I changed after reading this blog-post and
changing my key-bindings accordingly. You should give the alternative
bindings a try for a couple of weeks and see if you get a more
complica^W powerfu^W^W different workflow. I think tags-as-tags makes
certain (but not all) things easier.

While most people may use tags-as-workspaces, the fact that
tags-as-tags is possible makes the feature that was discussed
(wrapping clients) difficult to define properly and thus to document
and code properly. I.e. you could make something that works when one
uses tags-as-workspaces but it would probably be very surprising when
one uses tags-as-tags.

--
Raphaël Proust