swc library to implement dwm under Wayland (was Re: [dev] gtk3 support for surf?)

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:07:34 +0100

Hi

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 09:43:44AM +0100, FRIGN wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 01:38:13 +0000
> Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm of the opinion that the compositor and window manager should be
> > separate projects, which is why I implemented swc as a library. Look at
> > the number of tiling X11 window managers out there. It doesn't make
> > sense to have each of them implement their own compositing code.
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any questions! I would be happy to help!
>
> Hey Michael,
>
> I read your swc-code yesterday and must say that it is pretty lean,
> considering its feature-set.
> The next step may be to write a basic compositor atop swc, implement
> dwm functionality and then probably discuss which features in swc we
> might not need (it being a well-separated library makes exclusion very
> comfortable!).

st and dwm on Wayland is something I would love to see, if only to
get a glimpse of the functionality of the Wayland protocol and the
Wayland/client interactions.

I am just wondering how you would handle the window decorations? The
Wayland protocol seems to leave it unspecified whether a client has
to draw them themselves or whether the server has to do that[1]. If
that's the case, a Wayland-based dwm implementation cannot directly
control whether client decorations are drawn or not.

I remember reading a discussion about a way to tell Wayland clients
whether they should draw decorations themselves or not but I do not
remember where I read it (maybe the Wayland ML?) or if the participants
actually reached a generally accepted solution in the end...

Cheers,

Silvan

[1] http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/02/client-side-window-decorations-and-wayland/