Re: [dev] What is bad with Python

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:27:26 +0100

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> A question to everyone on this list: What do you think about the
> Go-language?

I used Python for all my scripting needs before Golang hit version 1.0
(around two years ago). After giving it another look then, I have come
to prefer it over Python. The static typing together with the superb
tooling is very appealing to me (and all Go programs are statically
compiled which will be a desirable feature for a lot of you).

It is not without its problems though:

* There are no generics (it is not clear at the moment whether they
will be incorporated into the language in the future) but with my
simple requirements I have not been missing them.
* The XML/JSON unmarshaling is cumbersome (I think I prefer the
Elementtree approach of Python) but maybe I am just misusing the
standard library. At least you get type safety when using the Golang
approach.

I am quite sure I would find more issues with Golang if I would be
writing more substantial programs but until then I will be happily
coding more in it.