Re: [dev] [scron] simple cron daemon

From: Bigby James <bigby.james_AT_crepcran.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:33:29 -0500

On 07/06, Dimitris Papastamos wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 09:30:25PM +0200, Džen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org> wrote:
> > > I've forked scron[0] [...]
> >
> > Why fork scron if you could just provide useful patches to the original author?
>
> Why do you assume that?

I can't speak for Dzen, but the wording of your first message in the thread gave
me the same impression. We basically have two messages in the discussion thread
to work with: One from the original author anouncing the project, and one from
you a couple days later telling everyone you've forked the project and patches
should be sent your way instead of vice versa. No feature requests, no bugs
mentioned---just "send me patches." The fact that a private discussion took
place regarding the future of the project isn't mentioned, and without that
context it can appear as though you're taking over someone else's project
without cause. So Dzen may have assumed the above because that was what your
language (and lack of information) implied. Be mindful of such things in the
future. Dzen may have made an improper assumption, but so did you, the second
you decided telling people what was going on was too much bother for you and
folks would just figure it out themselves.

- Bigby

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams