Re: [dev] Graphics library that sucks the least?...

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:55:12 +0200

On 7 July 2014 22:34, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 July 2014 16:25, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a graphics library that supports a text and menu
> There was at one time a suckless widget system in the works, I don't
> know what happened to that. What about leveraging other software like
> xdialog to do what you need?

I guess you mean swk. It's development ended in some partially usable
prototype, mainly achieved by pancake.

Nevertheless swk didn't really meet my actual goal: filling the gap
between curses and UI widget libraries. Basically what I'm still after
and considering a future project is the development of a text-based
UI, but not in the retarded tty/curses world, but rather on top of a
very basic window server (be it X or be it Wayland or something
similar).

The point here is really to revive text-based UIs in a graphical
environment, but without the ESC sequences of terminal emulators
underneath. Nowadays I'd even go that far and question the need of "UI
widgets" at all -- something like a very basic concept of recantgles +
text might suffice (even for touch interfaces).

The problem in this area is, that eye candy has dragged away the
efficiency and usability of text based I/O systems of the past. I
still believe the gap can be closed and great software can be
developed on top of such a simple concept.

Best regards,
Anselm