Re: [dev] Looking for simple, alpha supporting image format

From: Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:45:50 -0500

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 20:32 +0200, koneu wrote:
> On 07/18/2014 08:28 PM, Samuel Holland wrote:
> > I think it would be slightly more useful to put the number of bits
> > per channel in the header instead of the string "rgba". It would allow
> > more freedom in reducing the file size when color depth isn't very
> > important. For example, you could do 5658 or 4444 or 6666 or 8880 (to
> > omit alpha, even though currently omitting the "a" does the same). I
> > can think of some cases where overlays might benefit from something
> > like 1115. (There's still no real way to do monochrome.)
>
> Why put ASCII metadata in the magic string? I don't get it.

Then put it after the magic string. And they don't have to be
characters; they can be one-byte integers, which would be better
anyway. My point is that the format shouldn't be limited to just 8888,
especially if you're concerned with file size, so the header should
specify the bits per channel somewhere.

> And please align your lines next time you send an email to this list.

Done. Thanks for the heads up.

--
Regards,
Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net>