Re: [dev] [st] will global-less changes be wanted upstream?

From: Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:08:26 -0700

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 06:32:01PM -0500, Steven Degutis wrote:
> > What is the point?
> > One obvious cons is that it will bloat the code, make it less readable.
>
> First of all, I would not agree that it would bloat the code or make
> it less readable. In fact I think it will increase readability, as
> object structure and hierarchy will be more readily apparent. Plus, it
> would make for a more clean and obvious separation of
> responsibilities, such as terminal logic and logic for drawing to the
> screen, &c.
>
> As a consequence, it might become easier for contributions to my fork
> of the terminal logic (i.e. if my users submit bug fixes or new
> features, &c.) to be merged upstream to st, where they would also be
> relevant.

I am interested in a separation of terminal and windowing system logic
for my wayland port[0] of st.

That said, I don't really see how moving globals into a Term structure
would help with this. I think you could accomplish this by moving any
X-related code to an x.c, and then you could drop in a wayland.c or
whatever.c, and have config.mk choose which one gets built into st.

I think it would also be beneficial because it is difficult (at least
for me) to keep track of a single ~4k line c file.

[0]: https://github.com/michaelforney/st.git