Re: [dev] [st] will global-less changes be wanted upstream?

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 22:35:27 +0200

Greetings.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 22:35:27 +0200 "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
> > I think it would also be beneficial because it is difficult (at least
> > for me) to keep track of a single ~4k line c file.
>
> I usually work in the terminal emulation part, and sometimes it is a
> bit confusing mix the code of this part with the graphical part.
> What do you think about this topic guys?

The emulation in a terminal emulator is pure graphics. That’s why it is
a terminal emulator for a graphical environment. The logic behind it are
just flags to serve xdraws(). You will have to rewrite everything in a
new environment, especially because of the event infrastructure in X11.
There is not much to modularize here.

Having one server for many windows is what was first planned as an
urxvt‐like daemon feature. The complexity in code for this does not re‐
ally give much gain. So it was dropped.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann