Re: [dev] [st] will global-less changes be wanted upstream?

From: Steven Degutis <sbdegutis_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 15:47:30 -0500

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 22:35:27 +0200 "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
>> > I think it would also be beneficial because it is difficult (at least
>> > for me) to keep track of a single ~4k line c file.
>>
>> I usually work in the terminal emulation part, and sometimes it is a
>> bit confusing mix the code of this part with the graphical part.
>> What do you think about this topic guys?
>
> The emulation in a terminal emulator is pure graphics. That’s why it is
> a terminal emulator for a graphical environment. The logic behind it are
> just flags to serve xdraws(). You will have to rewrite everything in a
> new environment, especially because of the event infrastructure in X11.
> There is not much to modularize here.
>
> Having one server for many windows is what was first planned as an
> urxvt‐like daemon feature. The complexity in code for this does not re‐
> ally give much gain. So it was dropped.

After carefully teasing the X parts away from the terminal emulation
parts of st.c, I now have a term.c[1] file with only 1740 lines and
term.h[2] with 238 lines. So terminal emulation, without regard to any
GUI, only accounts for roughly half of the lines of st.c.

[1] https://github.com/sdegutis/hammerterm/blob/master/Hammerterm/term.c
[2] https://github.com/sdegutis/hammerterm/blob/master/Hammerterm/term.h

-Steven